History of College : The Sikkim Government College was born on 24th September 1980 in the heart of Gangtok. It was initially known as the Sikkim Law College but later on the State Government took the institution under its wings and rechristened it as the Sikkim Government Law College. The college is second oldest institute of higher learning in Sikkim which functions under the auspices of the Government of Sikkim and is registered with the Bar Council of India, New Delhi. It is also one of the earlier Higher Educational Institutions (HEIs) of the State to fulfil the norms of the University Grants Commission (UGC) and is recognised under sections 2 (f) and 12 B, UGC Act, 1956.
The SGLC, which started as an evening college was affiliated with the North Bengal University (NBU) in the Darjeeling district of West Bengal. In those days, the evening college catered to the newly graduates of the State willing to try their luck in the profession of law and civil services. Whereas it also played a major role in training the newly set up bureaucracy administering the State.The Institution which, as mentioned above, got a break as a 3-year LL.B. evening college initiated a 5-year integrated BA LLB Course from 1996 while being still affiliated to NBU. The SGLC, as the college is popularly known, moved to its present location, Burtuk in the March of 2007 and is presently affiliated to the Sikkim Central University (SU) and one of the earlier colleges to be affiliated to the SU.
The SGLC was recently ranked 30th among the Best Law Institutions in the country by none other than the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) and as such it possesses the potential to become one of the front runners in imparting and promoting contemporary Legal Education in India.